'Why Now?' - my reasons for writing this blog

A couple of months ago, my partner was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Around that time, between her hospital appointments and while attempting (and failing) to concentrate at work, I was searching the internet in a frenzy, trying to find blogs and articles that might give me an insight into the world I was about to enter as the lover, carer and best friend of a person with cancer (I will refer to her as ‘L’).

But I couldn’t really find anything honest and difficult (I was feeling some pretty difficult things and wanted some honesty), and that felt isolating. So I decided that I would write about my experience – not only for my own therapeutic processing, but for other people who might have the misfortune to experience cancer  – either in their own body or in the body of the person they love.

I must state now that I know that L is the one with this horrible disease and no matter how I feel, it's not going to be as scary as what she feels. But this blog is from my point of view, as a loving and caring partner, and my experience is all I know.

So I must honour it by allowing myself to feel my feelings.

If your partner has recently been diagnosed with cancer, too, maybe you’ll want to read about all of the horrible and amazing and mundane things that L and I have been through. And maybe you’ll find some solace in it.
Wishing you love, bravery and support,

Rhiannon

Comments